The National ParkRx Initiative hosted a series of free webinars, Creating and Strengthening Park Prescription Programs, that explored some of the most important elements for successful Park Prescription programs. The webinars act as a "condensed toolkit", touching on a wide variety of topics including partnership, needs assessments, implementation, evaluation, and marketing/communications. Through the series, participants learned how to create, improve, and promote Park Prescription programs while hearing real-world examples of how organizations have developed their own programs. Experts with proven track records of successful programs shared case studies, lessons learned, and best practices from their experiences.
Click the following links to view recordings, PowerPoint slides, and resources from each webinar.
Part I: Partnership - September 28, 2016, 1:30 pm ET
Participants will get a general overview of Park Prescription programs while learning about the specific needs, roles, and responsibilites of both park and health professionals. Speakers will focus on how to build cross-sector partnerships.
- Donna Leong, Health Program Manager, Institute at the Golden Gate (Moderator)
- Zarnaaz Bashir, Vice President of Health and Wellness, National Recreation and Park Association
- Dr. Curtis Chan, Medical Director of Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health Unit, San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Howard Levitt, Director of Communications and Partnerships, Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Part II: Needs Assessments - October 19, 2016, 1:30 pm ET
Participants will learn about why needs assessments are essential to successful Park Prescription programs. Speakers will focus on how to conduct and use space and community assessments to establish program modules.
- Zarnaaz Bashir, Vice President of Health and Wellness, National Recreation and Park Association (Moderator)
- Charm Lindblad, Executive Director, New Mexico Health Care Takes on Diabetes and Prescription Trails New Mexico
- Dr. Robert Zarr, Director, DC ParkRx and Staff Pediatrician, Unity Health Care
- Suzanne Tugman, Director of Community Outreach, Kaniksu Land Trust
Part III: Implementation & Evaluation - November 16, 2016, 1:30 pm ET
Participants will learn about Park Prescription program implementation, evaluation, marketing, and outreach. Speakers will focus on program sustainability.
- Anne O'Neill, Outdoor Recreation Planner, National Park Service (Moderator)
- Kevin Wright, Government and External Affairs Coordinator, Marin County Parks
- Dr. Sarah Messiah, Research Associate Professor and Co-Director of Community-Based Research and Training, University of Miami School of Medicine
- Jason Urroz, Director of Kids in Parks, Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation